Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Frankie's commitments' progress

HI all,
  Thank you so much, Beth, for getting us started.  I am really impressed by your commitments.
  Mine included 3:

1. Reaching out to the Food Movement to draw it into action on Democracy Spring/Awakening. So far, I'm in touch with Anim Steele at the Real Food Challenge. We hope to talk about it today. I also reached out to Food Democracy Now! and will follow up asap.

2. I promised that I'd nudge the Democracy Spring leaders Kai Newkirk and Curt Reis to make clearer on the first page of the website that this is NOT an "event" (one-off sort) but a spark in creating a powerful, ongoing movement. (I also suggested a change in wording to clarify that the money-in-politics crisis did not start with Citizens United.) I was thrilled that they liked my suggestions and said they'd act immediately. I also shared with them how positive folks in the Thrill of Democracy "Rowe crew" are about Democracy Spring.

3. Creating a Talking Points/Fact Sheet on Money in Politics. I realized during our weekend that a quick-and-dirty cheat sheet on a/ the scope of the problem b/ its worst consequences and c/ key, proven solutions that have very wide public support would help us all a lot. My team will begin soon to pull that together.
   In related news, we are a lot of positive feedback to our Field Guide to Money-Out-of-Politics. It is still in "beta" form and we would love your critique/suggestions.  
   I'll find our signed commitment and make sure it is in this blog. Does anyone have ideas for what else we might do with it? Once there are "democracy circles" popping up around the country, we might offer it as a suggestion for others, as it gives a group focus and solidarity. What do you think?
   Onward. Your energy pumps me up! Frankie
 

1 comment:

  1. Frankie, I am really excited about the fact sheet that your Small Planet team is working on. I think it will be really helpful! I also love the Field Guide to Money Out of Politics! I really like how the information is organized. It is really clear and easy to find information! Well done!

    I was also thinking about utilizing this blog for our reading list. Perhaps everyone could summarize one of the books they recommended during our weekend at Rowe? It would be great to hear about them since i wont have time to read until after the semester. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete