Monday, March 14, 2016

Our Personal Commitments

Hello Rowe Friends,

I hope you all had safe travels home! It was such a pleasure to spend time, share ideas and make new friends this past weekend. I was hoping we could use our first blog to share the personal commitments we made that will contribute to our democracy goals. My commitments are as follows.

1) Attempt to provide information about removing corporate money from politics and give information about Democracy Spring and Democracy Awakening during my classes two week voter registration on the Ursinus campus.

2) Meet with as many local political representatives as possible and have a discussion with them about the removal of corporate money in politics and try to convince them to advocate for the removal of the corporate influence. I also want to discuss with them strategies and policies that they would plan to enact if elected and talk about how this would empower or dis-empower the people and how their policies would or would not advocate for human dignity. The individuals I plan to meet with include Lindy Li (Democrat running in PA's 6th district U.S. Congress), Mike Parrish (Democrat running in PA's 6th district U.S. Congress), Ryan Costello (Republican incumbent running for re-election in PA's 6th district U.S. Congress), and Republican incumbent PA state representative Warren Kampf. I also plan to try and meet with, and if not contact, each candidate which is running for senate in PA, which includes Democrat Katie McGinty, Democrat Joe Sestak, Democrat John Fetterman, and Republican incumbent Pat Toomey.

3) I will also set up meetings with various Ursinus student groups. I plan to meet with the Ursinus College Democrats, Feminists in Action and the Ursinus College Young Republicans. During these meetings I hope to provide information about the influence corporate money has in politics, provide information about Democracy Spring and Democracy Awakening and try to influence these groups to become active participants in our democracy while encouraging other students on campus to be actively involved in our democracy.

As I think of more goals and commitments I will update you all! I hope this looks good and I can't wait to hear about all of your commitments!

Cheers!

Beth

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth et al. (or my sister eliSabeth),

    I just signed up for Democracy Awakening and paid for an overnight bunk bed (as opposed to a bare floor in a church...Having just turned 69 makes me value my creature comforts, although i did sleep most of the summer outside in a tent on a futon as my apt. was being "refreshed...").

    Since I live in Arlington, MA, right next to Frankie and Richard in Cambridge, I'll probably get involved in some local activities as well, but that's down the road.

    Right now, i want to get a copy of our manifesto, so I can start spreading the news.

    Blessings and Belly Laughs,
    Lisbet
    Arlington, MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisbet,

    Great to hear you're attending Democracy Spring! Allie and I are still trying to figure out our schedules to see when we will be able to join the march. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete